Tuesday 17 September 2013

How little do we know or do we care to know


Is the social networks not wonderful thing. Facebook, google+, twitter i have connected with so many old friends from school and even way back when i was very young.  I recently spoke to him just hi how is it going the general stuff and i mentioned he must check out my Blog's and what it is all about. He mentioned how he too has anxiety as a child and had dyslexia and how he has struggled over the years dealing with it all. I was so shocked all the times we spent together and laughed and joked i picked up nothing. Nothing was said and nothing was asked. I feel quite sad that as friends do we not anymore go the extra mile to find out who our friends really are, what there fears, hopes and dreams are. or is it all made up on just socializing and keeping to subjects that are not too deep. I feel if maybe i had known about his special needs i could of been more of a better friend as we grew up together and maybe could of helped him during difficult times.

As we grow up i have learnt to choose my friends well , when we younger we are so more self conscious of people liking us and fitting in and the older you get, you get more self confident and frankly you either accept me or as i am or don't bother.  

I think it is important for parents to not hide or shy from there kids that have special needs that there child should also not be scared to mention it and embrace it , especially to those friends that do not go to a special needs school and let her realize early who values her as a friend and accepts her with all her special needs she may have.. It is important for her to grow up with the right group of friends , friends that will support her, understand her, protect her and stand by her when she goes through tough times. I am thankful Faith is an extrovert , i am also thankful she goes to a special needs school where kids are not judgmental and all know they are there for a reason. I am thankful she has the rare friends that are in mainstream who don't judge her either but just stand by her and try and understand. Growing up nowadays there is so much pressure and kids need to be confident in themselves and love themselves with all there faults and realize that a true friend will stand by you regardless what.

I alone have learnt over the years who becomes an acquaintances and who becomes a friend that i can speak about Faith freely without them feeling weird or uncomfortable because they are not in the same situation. I have learnt not to shy away from my child's special needs but to be open and honest. I guess that's why i started these blogs as well, it is easier to write and express  how you feel than to explain it all the time and this way my family and friends get to know the real me , the good days the bad days, the days of frustration and the days of triumph. 

My hope for faith is that she will embrace her anxiety, her adhd, etc and not ever feel like she is less than anyone else, never feel she has to prove herself to her friends because they can do things she cannot. . My hope for faith is that as she grows up she will find those few but precious friends who will love her, cherish her,and support her when times get dark and uncertain, cause face it most kids talk more to there friends than there parents as they grow up. I never want her to feel she cant just casually talk about it and her friends feel uncomfortable.

The gift of truly understanding your friends needs either as a child or an adult i think many lack because everyone looks on the surface instead inside the soul. I pray you have your few that see you as you with all your faults and still love you for you, because regardless we all are not perfect and have no right to judge anyone in this world. 

No comments: